Blog · February 27, 2020
Crab Parsnip Bisque Recipe
Gourmondo recently had the opportunity to participate in Seattle Wine and Food Experience's POP! Bubbles + Seafood event! Celebrating the Pacific Northwest's bounty of seafood, Gourmondo's talented chef team created a delicious bisque with Dungeness crab, parsnips, and Granny Smith apples. Read on for the full recipe!
CRAB PARSNIP BISQUE
Yield: approximately 1 quart (4 each 8-ounce servings or 16 each 2-ounce appetizer portions)
- 1 tbl - butter
- 2 cups - parsnips, diced
- 1/2 cup - apple, Granny Smith or Fuji, diced in cider
- 1/4 cup - yellow onion, diced
- 1.5 tbl - shallots, minced
- 1 tsp - garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup - Dry Riesling or Gewurztraminer
- 1/3 cup - apple cider
- 2.5 cup - chicken stock (or vegetable) hot
- 1 tsp - thyme, chopped
- 1 tsp - tarragon, chopped
- 1/2 cup - heavy cream
- To Taste - salt and white pepper
- 1 cup - crab meat
- 3/4 cup - apples, minced
- 4 sprigs - micro radish or chives
- Melt butter in a non-reactive pot. Add onions and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add parsnips, shallots, and garlic. Cook about 3-5 minutes while stirring to prevent any browning.
- Add apples and cook 2 more minutes.
- De-glaze with white wine, apple cider. Reduce heat and simmer volume until about 1/4 cup.
- Add chicken stock. Bring to a simmer and reduce heat. Cook for approximately 30-35 minutes or until parsnips have infused and cooked completely.
- Season slightly with salt and pepper. Place in blender in batches and puree until very smooth.
- Strain through a fine strainer and check seasoning.
- Chill or serve at once. Add cream when reheating or at very end.
- Add crab and apples to each serving bowl.
- Divide soup equally and garnish with micro radish or chives.