Blog · November 30, 2017
Recipe: Gourmondo Caramelized Carrot Soup
As the cold weather arrives, so does soup season. To keep you warm this fall and winter, we’d like to share one of our favorite soup recipes created by our very own Chef Tom Black. When made in our kitchens, this Caramelized Carrot Soup uses only the freshest, local ingredients – something for which Gourmondo is known - and is sure to please any palate.
Available at most Gourmondo Cafes, our Caramelized Carrot Soup is so popular that Chef Tom was asked to prep it on Washington Grown, a regional TV program that highlights the amazing food scene and industry that makes Washington state a great place to enjoy literally hundreds of locally grown items. Each episode focuses on one ingredient grown or raised in Washington and our dish landed Gourmondo on the Carrot Episode.
Chef Tom and host Kristi Gorenson had a great time prepping the soup (in our bakery kitchen!) at Gourmondo HQ. And it was quite to fortuitous coincidence that Chef Tom actually used carrots from the same farm that was featured in the episode: Mercer Farms in the Horse Heaven Hills of Eastern Washington. You can watch the full episode here.
Working with and supporting Washington farmers and local purveyors was one of the founding principles of Gourmondo when we opened our doors more than 20 years ago. And we’ve been able to carry this into all aspects of our business – from our boxed lunch department to high-end event catering.
But now, without further ado, the full recipe for:
Gourmondo’s Caramelized Carrot Soup
- 12 medium carrots – peeled, cut into large pieces
- 1 yellow onion – rough chop
- 6 celery sticks – rough chop
- 2 garlic cloves – rough chop
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 Tablespoons EVOO
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- Salt & Pepper – to taste
- 3 Tablespoons honey
- 1 cup Heavy Cream (not necessary, if you’re avoiding dairy)
- Heat oven to 475 degrees
- Trim, peel, and cut the carrots into 1-inch lengths.
- Toss in a little bit of olive oil, season with salt and pepper.
- Dump carrots on a baking sheet and place into hot oven.
- Cook until they have nice color on them.
- Trim, peel, and chop the onion, celery and garlic.
- In a heavy pot, sauté the onion & celery in the butter and olive oil over medium heat, stirring, until translucent.
- Add the garlic and sauté it for a few minutes, taking care not to let it brown.
- Add the Caramelized Carrots, water, ginger, and salt and simmer about 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let the soup cool.
- When the soup has cooled, puree it in batches in a food processor or blender.
- Return the puree to the pot and place it over medium-high heat.
- Bring the puree to a boil and reduce it to the desired thickness.
- Add the Heavy Cream (not necessary, if you’re avoiding dairy)
- Add the honey, stirring until dissolved.
Taste, adjust the seasonings, if necessary, and serve immediately.